Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Deliver us from evil"

God does not tempt us in order to test us. Nonetheless, there are temptations because God does not deprive us of our freedom. That we find what is evil alluring is sign that we are not yet free. Indeed, as Glen Stassen observes, "if we spend all our effort on our own white-knuckled struggle against a temptation, it grows bigger and bigger."

"It isn't necessary," Giussani taught us, "to cultivate plans of perfection, but to look Christ in the face" (Is It Possible to Live This Way?, vol. 2, pg. 117). He urged us not to "daydream and aim for perfection, but look Christ in the face: if one looks Christ in the face... everything is straightened out, everything falls into place..." (ibid).

"Deliver us, Lord, from every evil and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety, as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ."

Veni Sancti Spiritus, veni per Mariam.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. It is so simple and trusting. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to be reminded not to cultivate plans of perfection. Doing so is a hang-over from my moralistic upbringing.

    I cannot believe what is happening in me as the result of my May prayers to our Blessed Mother. She despises not my petitions, but in her mercy she hears and answers me. My trust is not misplaced.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...