Saturday, May 16, 2009

David Brent, chilled out entertainer- Saturday media miscellania



I have wanted to post this video for quite some time. I really love The Office, not the U.S. knock-off, but the real deal, the U.K. version. I am an Office purist of sorts. I own the original series on DvD. What I like about Ricky Gervais is that, in addition to being over-the-top funny, he is poignant and very human. His HBO series Extras is also very good in just this same way. Oddly, I don't much care for Gervais as a stand-up comedian. Besides, we've all had to sit through training days at work, wouldn't a little Brent-like take-over of these proceedings make them infinitely more entertaining? There is a full-up version of Free Love Freeway, with an assist from a member of Oasis, trivia question is, which member?



Who knows, perhaps next week we'll have a little Father Ted? The new Green Day album, 21st Century Breakdown, was released yesterday. I have to finish digesting Dylan's Together Through Life, which I am loving, first. My favorite cut thus far is I Feel a Change Comin' On. "I'm listening to Billy Joe Shaver/And I'm reading James Joyce/Some people, they tell me/I've got the blood of the land in my voice."
"The Court of Catholic Conscience is now open. His Most Catholic Majesty will now administer open air justice. Free medical and legal advice, solution of doubles and other problems. All cordially invited. Given at this loyal city of Dublin in the year 1 of the Paradisiacal Era" (Ulysses, pg 487 of Modern Library edition).
Perhaps we can substitute South Bend for Dublin. On this Joyce-ian note, President Obama delivers his commencement address at ND tommorrow. I have to say that this whole affair has gotten to be embarrassing. Why can't we just let Bishop D'Arcy's (the local ordinary) statement suffice? Whether you agree with ND's decision or not, it is happening! The world will not end, Christ is still risen and we are still called to give witness to our new life in Christ. This is THE positive hypothesis, or rather, fact. As St. Paul wrote: "If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied" (1 Cor. 15:19). I also think Ambassador Glendon's refusal to take up her position in ND's all too clever triangulation strategy laudable. Beyond that, what ya gonna do, 'cept pout and grouse?

In my opinion, the real scandal is the polarization and public divisiveness this has sparked within the church. This merely demonstrates, yet again, that virtually nobody, regardless as to which "side" you're on, really accepts the hierarchical nature of our communio. It also shows what happens when we put the political over what really matters and reduce faith to ideology. Again, I want to thank Chris Bacich and our National Diaconia for A New Commencement. I am more convinced than ever that this represents the right attitude and approach.

I would like to be spared all these 1) over-cooked 2) cris d' coeur!

Veni Sancti Spiritus, veni per Mariam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...