Friday, May 8, 2009

"That long black cloud is comin' down"



From the same 1976 unreleased footage that Bob does a reggae version of Like a Rolling Stone, comes this version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door. To quote the most ironic of the lyrics from Dylan's new album, "it's alright because it's all good." Knockin' is our traditio today. Even today, if you want to be a rock n' roll band, you have to know this song and It's a Long Way to the Top. As a full-blooded Celt, there is nothing cooler than the haggis solo! Of course, there is this classic Gn'R version of Knockin'.

Take a listen to Doug Brinkley's interview with Tom Ashbrook about his recent opportunity to talk to Dylan. There are few people that I respect as much as I respect Bob Dylan. You can read Brinkley's interview with Dylan in the current issue of Rolling Stone- I bought it yesterday.

At points in life, we're rolling stones, with no direction home, like complete unknowns. Like so many Dylan songs, this one resonates with our experience, as does Knockin'.

I found this gem over on Clarity Currents: "Teach me, O Lord, whence I ought to hope, so that I can pray. For I long to pray to you; but I neither know how because of my ignorance, nor am I able to because of my hardness." - St. Anslem of Canterbury. To learn I turn to the Blessed Virgin.

Veni Sancti Spiritus, veni per Mariam.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who is a Dylan fan. I must get him to read this post! Wonderful!

    Blessings on the Feast of Our Lady of Fátima!

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...