Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fr. Julián Carrón at the Synod on the Word of God

Fr. Julián Carrón, who was personally chosen by the Holy Father to be a participant in the Synod of Bishops on the Word of God, now convened in Rome. Fr. Julián is the head of Communion and Liberation. He is one who for me and my fellow celini is a leader, one I look to for guidance. He was picked by Don Giussani, before his death in 2005, to head CL. I had the pleasure of meeting Fr. Carrón personally this past January in New York City. I was introduced to him by my friend Carlo, who is Memores Domini. As a participant in the synod, like the bishops, Fr. Carrón can speak, that is, make interventions during the sessions. The following, with a deep diaconal bow to my friend Suzanne over at Come to See, is his intervention:

"Interpretation of the Bible is one of the most worrisome problems in the Church today. The essence of the challenge brought up by the problem of modern interpretation of Sacred Scriptures was identified years ago by the then Cardinal Ratzinger: 'How can I come to a comprehension which is not based on the judgement of my suppositions, a comprehension that permits me to understand the text’s message, giving me back something that does not come from my person?'

"Regarding this difficulty, today’s Magisterium of the Church offers us elements to avoid any possible reduction.

"It was the Second Vatican Council’s merit to have recuperated a concept of revelation as the event of God in history. In effect, Dei Verbum permits understanding the revelation as the auto-communication’s event of the Trinity through the Son 'the mediator and the fullness of all Revelation' (DV 2). It is Christ who 'perfected revelation by fulfilling it through his whole work of making Himself present and manifesting Himself: through His words and deeds, His signs and wonders, but especially through His death and glorious resurrection from the dead and final sending of the Spirit of truth' (DV 4).

"This event does not belong only to the past, to a certain moment in time and space, but remains present in history, communicating itself through the totality of the Church’s life that receives it. In fact, 'Christ’s contemporaneity to each human being of any time is realized through his body which is the Church' (VS 25; cf. FR 11).

"The encyclical letter Fides et Ratio characterizes the impact, that the revealed truth provokes in each person that encounters it, with two folded impulse: a) it widens one’s mind to adapt it to the subject; b) it facilitates the comprehension of its deep sense. Instead of mortifying the person’s intellect and liberty, the revelation leads to developing both the highest level of their original condition.

"The experience of the encounter with Christ present in the living tradition of the Church is an event and therefore becomes the determining factor of the interpretation of the biblical text. It is the only way to be in harmony with the experience witnessed by the Scripture’s text. In fact, 'the right knowledge of the biblical text is therefore accessible only to whom has a lived affinity with what is stated in the text' (PcB 70). Saint Augustine summarizes it realistically: 'In manibus nostris sunt codices, in oculis nostris facta'."


While I am on the subject of CL, Sharon, writing over on Cahiers has posted an article by Msgr. Lorenzo Albacete on The Ugly Campaign that is worth a few minutes of your time. Albacete's words are for me a bit of a correction. As I wrote yesterday, the selection of Gov. Palin has been a bitter pill for me to swallow. As a result I have been very hard on her, perhaps too hard. I am certain that Sarah Palin has a lot of good in her, has good qualities. Maybe in these last few weeks of the campaign she should let this side show. Anyway, as the election approaches, I once again find myself unexcited and apprehensive. It feels a lot like four years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...