Saturday, March 20, 2010

"I know when I think about Hitler and Stalin I think social justice"

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Glenn Beck Attacks Social Justice - James Martin
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorHealth Care reform

Thanks, Stephen! This gets it about right. Somehow, I think were I to inform my bishop about any focus on social justice, he would be pleased. This is not to say that we don't need to clarify from time-to-time and that social justice is not a name we can apply to all political activity, which is why we look to our bishops to clarify and to lead. To try and be a little fair, it is true that not everything that flies under the flag of social justice is truly just. We need to be clear on what justice is because it informs not only the ends we strive to achieve, but the means we use to accomplish them.

Meum cum sim pulvis et cinis

3 comments:

  1. Oh that was rich. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this article does a pretty good job of summarizing the principles of Catholic social teaching...at least in the context of the healthcare reform bill.

    http://www.acton.org/commentary/580_healthcare_rights_and_wrongs.php

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...