Monday, March 1, 2010

If March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb

I think March is about lions and lambs not primarily because of the weather, but because most of the month is Lent moving towards our celebration of the Paschal Mystery of Christ's passing over from death to life. It is a time we endeavor to make peace in ourselves through penitential practices, which do not in themselves bring us closer to God, but aid in getting our egos out of the way so that God, through Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit can conform us more to His image, His shape, which is cruciform, the cross being the tree of life!


It is the cross that makes the lion of Judah the Lamb of God, who takes away our sins and makes our peace with God and with each other. As regards Lent, walk on, remembering "that the only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind."

Two things are staying with me through this Lent: the refrain from the responsorial Psalm from the first Sunday of Lent- "Be with my Lord, when I am in trouble;" the words of Don Giussani that tell me of the necessity of "accepting the sacrifice of the circumstances through which [I am] made to pass." God is at work in my life in no other way than through my life, a tautology to be sure, but also a necessary reminder.

Meum cum sim pulvis et cinis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...