Wednesday, December 21, 2011

How do I respond to grace? Not gracefully

Okay, I am just going to admit this: When it comes to Christmas, I am a heel. The only presents I personally purchase are for my wife and children, meaning I buy them each one thing. My lovely wife does all the rest of it. I feel the need to admit this because every year I receive so many wonderful gifts from both expected and unexpected people. It's funny, I love Christmas, but given what's involved in gift exchange (i.e., having to go shopping), I just don't do it. It's funny, I would actually be alright with getting nothing for Christmas, with the exception of a beautiful Mass and a lovely breakfast, with mimosas, of course.

Nativity, by William Congdon

It's a ham-fisted and sentimental connection, I know, but my wholly inadequate and often awkward response to receiving gifts seems a pretty realistic response to the Mystery we acknowledge.

2 comments:

  1. I was just introduced to you by our mutual friend John, currently in China. Pleased to meet you! I can understand your tenacious approach to the whole gift thing. That said, I've learned that it's important to be open to receiving, too (hard for me to do as well), and perhaps that's something you're being asked to do this Christmas season. Christmas blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Roxane. Thanks for your greeting and good wishes. Yes, that is difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...