Friday, December 9, 2011

Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Zola Jesus

Our Friday traditio this week is by the one-woman "group" Zola Jesus, Clay Bodies . Nika Roza Danilova is that one woman and an incredible one at that. One of her major influences is the late Joy Division singer Ian Curtis, who is someone whose music means a lot to me as well.



I love Danilova's aesthetic, but particularly this video, which put me in mind of stills I have seen of Helena Bonham Carter as Miss Havisham from the upcoming film version of Dickens' Great Expectations



Danilova said in an interview a few years ago, "I probably read Dostoevsky and Nietzsche before I should have. I was always really into absorbing things from the past." This is why Clay Bodies is perfect for a traditio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...