Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Feast of St. John, apostle



Oh the richness of the octave of Christmas! Following right on the heels of the Feast of Stephen is the Feast of St. John the Apostle. Just as our observance of St. Stephen's day is something of a celebration of deacons, our celebration of St. John's Feast is a celebration of the glorious priesthood. Where would we be without those who gave up all to follow and even to imitate Christ? Even though priestly vocations remain on the up-tick, we certainly need more priests to meet the sacramental and pastoral needs of the even more rapidly increasing number of the faithful.

I only have time for a short reflection this morning, but given the number of priests who have blessed my own life and the number I am privileged to count as my friends, I would be remiss to let this wonderful feast pass by without comment.

St. John, holy apostle, pray for us, especially our priests, and for more men to respond to Christ's call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...