Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wow, that was painful

I hope I am not the only one who grew tired of the Obama VP schtick these past few days. Last night, after a day of news about when the senator was going to announce his choice for VP, which decision he had made several days before, I was fatigued. I hope this does not become a feature of the campaign, "We have made a decision, but we're not going to tell you until we get a million people, who we can then spam for money, to sign-up for the text message". (Note to candidates- if this kind of pandering doesn't reveal the need for comprehensive campaign finance reform, what does?) No, I did not sign up for the text message. I wanted a surprise when I opened the SL Trib this morning. Nonetheless, I had a strong feeling it would be Sen. Biden after reading David Brooks' Oped piece in yesterday's New York Times, Hoping It's Biden and listening to him and E.J. Dionne on All Things Considered on my drive home.

Anyway, we have a Catholic on the ticket: Senator Joseph Biden of Delaware. For more on Senator Biden see Deacon Greg Kandra's post over on The Deacon's Bench. There will be more in due course, of course. Sen. Biden is a man I like in many regards. However, as with most Dems, he is compromised on many social issues, like abortion and marriage. To get a feel for who Joseph Biden is, I found listening to this episode of Fresh Air with Terry Gross from February of 2006 very good because he speaks for himself. It is interesting, not mention heartening, to note that he and Sen. McCain are very good personal friends.

6 comments:

  1. ah, a second Catholic moment, the sequel to JFK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,
    What would happen if Biden presented himself for communion at the Cathedral of the Madeleine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, that's an interesting question and one that is best addressed either to Bp Wester or to Fr Mayo. I would be happy to give an opinion, but that costs a beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you're anything like me, with more beer comes more opinions:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're much alike that regard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many beers would it take to get you to tell me who to vote for, so I could just stop wading through the fecal matter?

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...