Thursday, May 22, 2008

"The Seas are stormy/And You Can't find No Port," or Ecclesia Supplet

It's funny how things suddenly strike me. It shows the low level of awareness at which I sometimes operate. I must've prayed this intercession many times before, but last evening, while praying Evening Prayer, I found myself uttering this petition to God from the bottom of my soul:

"Be mindful of those who devote themselves to the service of their brothers,
-do not let them be deterred from their goals by discouraging results or lack of support"
(Evening Prayer, Week III, Intercessions)

Not to sound too overwrought, it would be difficult for me summon a more appropriate petition at present.

Taking the slow boat to the shores of Καθολικός διάκονος, via Vitus Speaks and The Looking Closer Journal with Jeffrey Overstreet, comes this gem from the All Songs Considered Blog- Tom Waits Interviews Tom Waits. The interviewer, Tom Waits, begins the piece with an intro about Tom Waits:

"I must admit, before meeting Tom, I had heard so many rumors and so much gossip that I was afraid. Frankly, his gambling debts, his animal magnetism, coupled with his disregard for the feelings of others... His elaborate gun collection, his mad shopping sprees, the face lifts, the ski trips, the drug busts and the hundreds of rooms in his home. The tax shelters, the public urination...I was nervous to meet the real man himself. Baggage and all. But I found him to be gentle, intelligent, open, bright, helpful, humorous, brave, audacious, loquacious, clean, and reverent. A Boy Scout, really (and a giant of a man). Join me now for a rare glimpse into the heart of Tom Waits. Remove your shoes and no smoking, please."

Why not have two traditio postings this week? Here's some Tom Waits for nobody in particular, for no reason in particular:



UPDATE Alex has posted a great Tom Waits song, Chocolate Jesus, a song previously referenced on this blog in a post entitled Well it's got to be a Choc-O-late Mary, which is also a great example of me being pedantic and didactic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...