Saturday, December 8, 2007

A few thoughts on a holy day

All three of my school aged children attend a Catholic school. As part of their school experience, in addition to choir and music, they participate in sports. The sports league in which they play is a Catholic league. Well, today being Saturday, basketball was played, which is alright despite it being holy day of obligation as well as tremendously snowy. So, depending on when the game is scheduled, a family can either get up and go to an early Mass or attend a noon or afternoon Mass in observance of the day, which is what my oldest daughter and I are doing. That being written, I also want to point out that holy days are to be observed as Sundays insofar as that is possible. Many people, apart from attending Mass, observe Sunday as a day of rest, which our Catholic faith encourages.

This brings me to the point of this post. Before the start of my oldest daughter's game this morning, a little before 10:00 AM, a couple of parents in front of me were talking. One parent asked the other parent why one of the players was not at the game. The other parent answered with something like: "Well, it's Immaculate Conception or something like that, she won't be here". To which the inquisitive parent replied, with a hint of disapproval in his voice, "That's more important than the game?" Dear friends, the simple answer to his question is a clear, unequivocal, unambiguous, and enthusiastic YES!! I prefer to see it from the perspective of getting to go to Mass, rather than viewing it as having to go to Mass. Is it a challenge at times? Sure it is, but I constantly struggle with living my priorities. This is why I need God's patient and loving assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...