Tuesday, August 10, 2010

St. Lawrence



The Marturdom of St. Lawrence, by Valentin de Buologne, 1621-22

St Lawrence, a deacon of the Church of Rome, who was born in Spain, died a martyr in Rome in AD 258. St. Lawrence is one of the most venerated saints in the church's glorious history. Pope Sixtus II ordained Lawrence (a.k.a. Lorenzo) a deacon. Lawrence was martyred shortly after Sixtus, his bishop. When the pope was arrested Tradition has it that he told Lawrence to give the Church's treasures, for which he was responsible, away to the poor. When he was noticed by the Roman authorities for doing this, the Roman prefect ordered Lawrence to turn over the Church's treasures to him. So, Lawrence, pointing to the poor and sick around him, said, "Here are the treasures of the Church." As a result, he was condemned to death by being burnt on a gridiron. He endured this torture in good spirits, allegedly saying at one point, "See, I am done enough on one side, now turn me over and cook the other."

St. Lawerence, deacon and martyr, pray for us.

2 comments:

  1. I was praying for all of the deacons I know... and that I do not know earlier today.

    The call of this ministry is very loud and clear for me. I know that it is a bold statement, but I choose, with my heart connected to God, to say it aloud here today.I have made my peace with knowing that it will not likely happen in my lifetime.

    Peace and prayers for all deacons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen -- and thank you, Scott, and Fran.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...