Saturday, August 14, 2010

I am a jar of clay

As we enter the sacred time of the bodily Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, our Mother, into heaven, I am struck by these words, which also put me in mind this evening of my own vocation:

"For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh" (2 Cor. 4:5-11- ESV).

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us
St. Paul, pray for us

Jesu confido tibi, whatever else I might be, I long to be wholly yours.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful post, Scott! Thanks for the reminder. Tonight, as I pray, I will remember, "Thy will be done", not mine!

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...