Sunday, February 3, 2008

Cognitive dissonance

In my post Feelings re-visited I wrote:

"Honestly, what I like about The Passion of the Christ is the violence. An unbloodied, unbruised, not beaten Christ is no Savior- "he was pierced for our offenses, crushed for our sins, Upon him was the chastisement that makes us whole, by his stripes we were healed. We had all gone astray like sheep, each following his own way; But the LORD laid upon him the guilt of us all (Isa. 53,5-6)."

This is at odds with, or at least apparently at odds with, much of I wrote late last summer under the influence of the book Embracing Travail: Retrieving the Cross Today, by Dr. Cynthia Crysdale. Since my writing this week I have been dealing with the cognitive dissonance of this, especially as it pertains to the myth of redemptive violence, which I find to be perhaps the most insidious myth in human history. I do not really have an answer, but a lot of grist for the mill as I approach Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...