Friday, July 20, 2018

"I'm gonna kick tomorrow"

I have long loved the sound of the '90s band Jane's Addiction. While doing some music listening recently, I ran across this acoustic version of what is perhaps the band's signature song: "Jane Says."



"Jane Says" is a song about being addicted to drugs and to the idea "I'm gonna kick [quit] tomorrow." While listening(/watching) on Youtube, I read this comment by a commenter posting under the moniker "Absentee Childhood":
I had no idea what this song meant 25 years ago although I loved it and was sadly living it for the most part..being 43 and watching this just allowed me to let a lot if heavy stuff go and celebrate 20 years of being clean. This song so vividly captures beautifully what addiction is without glorifying it. Thank you for sharing your talent, gentlemen. You don't even know me but you saved my life during some dark shit. I live in light and happiness now. Thank you. *drug free since 94
Sobering. At least I hope it is.

One of the blessings composed by the late John O'Donohue that appears in his lovely book of blessings, To Bless the Space Between Us, is called simply For An Addict. Here is a stanza:
May you crash hard and soon
onto real ground again
where this fundamentalist shell
might start to crack
for you to hear again
your own echo
Anyway, "Jane Says" is our Friday traditio this week. It goes out to all those I know who have kicked and to those still kicking. It is certainly dedicated to those who want to kick but to whom that seems impossible. Don't give up hope.



Venerable Matt Talbot, pray for us. May all who are addicted find a tomorrow on which they can kick and start to live again, or maybe for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...