Friday, July 6, 2012

Turkey anyone?

Since I have been laid up ill for the past three days with a very nasty chest cold, I have treated myself to a Turkish film festival. First I watched On the Edge of Heaven, followed by Takva: A Man's Fear of God, finished off by Distant. Of the three I liked Takva the best as it is an Islamic tale about the impossibility of serving God and mammon, how religious institutions inevitably struggle with this, and also about the human desire to please and honor God and how we need grace, that is, God's help to live that way. Takva also offers a glimpse of Sufi Islam, thus helping Westerners to see that there is a diversity within in Islam and rather benevolent forms. As for Distant, I came across this very insightful film review: Distant. This is in no way to the detriment of On the Edge of Heaven. I recommend all three.

A still from Distant, directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan

Ever since visiting Turkey numerous times in throughout the '90s, I have loved Turkish popular music. I haven't listened to any for quite awhile. So, our Friday traditio is Yildiz Tilbe singing "Delikanlım":



My roses bloom indefinite times for you/They won't fade even if you pick them up and throw away "Delikanlïm" means "My Boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...