Saturday, June 18, 2011

Final thoughts on l'affair Corapi

I do not plan to post endlessly, or even anymore, on the whole Corapi mess because I think one very quickly crosses a moral line speaking and writing about these things, taking an obsessive and prurient interest in such matters and urging others to do so, thus creating a kind of tabloid culture in the ekkelsia. However, there is one take on this matter that I think merits drawing some attention to- that of Deacon Bob Yerhot of the Diocese of Winona, Minnesota, who, unlike myself and others, actually has some expertise he can bring to bear on yesterday's announcement: John Corapi, aka "The Black Sheep Dog,". Bob offers some very worthwhile insights to anyone who has an interest in this matter, especially those who, understandably, want to defend "The Black Sheep Dog".

Deacon Bob, who works in the field of mental health, wrote- "From only reading the text of his statement it strikes me of a man who has a wounded pride. He seems to be lashing out, and seeing himself in some way now as the defender of truth in the world. He doesn’t actually say that, but it leaves that impression in my mind." Bob is one of the most faithful and gracious people I know. As I always, I appreciate his wisdom, prudence, and charity.

Deacon Bob also took the time to post an thoughtful comment regarding my last post, as have several others, like Bill Ditewig, who urges us not to forget the great disappointment, hurt, and potential disillusionment on the part of many who have followed Corapi over the years. A pastoral concern that I certainly share.

St. Isidore of Seville (proposed patron saint of the internet) and St. Francis de Sales, pray for us.

3 comments:

  1. It's all very unfortunate and sad. I have a lot of thoughts about this whole mess, but i don't know if it is appropriate to share them publically. As you said, at some point, it becomes tabloid culture in the ekklesia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, Dan. As I wrote yesterday, not only have I never been a fan of Corapi, but I have long seen him as someone who goes out of his way to draw attention himself, making him, at least in my estimation, an unconstructive and unnecessarily divisive presence. One can be faithful, preaching and teaching the truth, without being bombastic.

    This whole affair is sad, terribly sad. The only reason I chose to post anything on this matter in the first place was because after listening to his announcement I was moved by his plight, which allowed me to post with a charitable heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've stayed away from commenting on this. I'll writes something on my blog later.

    We must all pray for John Corapi and those whose faith has been strengthened and enriched by his ministry these last 20 years--especially those who may not have the discernment to distinguish between the teaching and the man. I've been personally worried about Corapi since I saw him in Buffalo two years ago and was surprised by his celebrity. I hoped he was still humble enough to be surprised by it, too. And then last year in Cincinnati I found more apparent reason to be concerned when he came sporting his jet-black goat and seemed to brag during the course of his talk about his motorcycle and his boat. (emphasis on "his")

    Listening to his more recent broadcasts and tapes--the last two or three years--I've perceived a marked difference between this Fr. Corapi and the one from the Catechism series in his full, grey beard and grey monk's habit. His manner back then even seemed more humble. And more graceful.

    These were all external impressions that may have meant nothing. I hoped they meant nothing. But now my fears on his behalf seemed to have been realized. And I fear that John Corapi has been in dire need of our prayers for some time.

    He understood the Immortal Combat ... we must all remember that none of us are ever so strong or so wise that we're ever really safe so long as we're here below. He also understood, or seemed to understand, Humility.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...