Friday, June 10, 2011

"Cast in this unlikely role, ill-equipped to act..."

Since this is the 1,900th post here on Καθολικός διάκονος and it is Friday, I have been racking my brain all week for something appropriately wonderful. I gave up on that because it is really kind of a silly criterion. When all else fails, go with what you know. So, here's Rush singing a great song, Limelight, one that flies in the face of carte blanche denunciations of rock music. For me to forsake or betray rock would be to deny an important and actual part of my experience, that is, myself, one of those factors that contribute to who I am.


This is our traditio for today. I appreciate the diligence of both of my readers. For the past year or so, believe it or not, my blog is a day-to-day proposition, which I hope enables me to convey a kind urgency, which must be distinguished from both desperation and panic, let alone paranoia, or negativity.

Last night reading in the third chapter of Ecclesiastes I came across these verses, which surprised me despite having read this book many times: "I have considered the task which God has appointed for men to be busied about. He has made everything appropriate to its time, and has put the timeless into their hearts, without men's ever discovering, from beginning to end, the work which God. I recognized that there is nothing better than to be glad and to do well during life. For every man, moreover, to eat and drink and enjoy the fruit of all his labor is a gift of God. I recognized that whatever God does will endure forever; there is no adding to it, or taking from it. Thus has God done that he may be revered" (verses 10-14).

The word "the timeless" in this passage is variously translated as "eternity," "the world," or sometimes even "darkness." As near as I can tell, the most literal translation is something like "the obscurity."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...