Friday, June 17, 2011

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto"


After a very chill week here Καθολικός διάκονος, I am putting forth Styx's Mr. Roboto as our Friday traditio; an unapologetic blast from the past. I had forgotten what a great song this was until I heard it while working out last week. I love that this is a live version of the song performed at a relatively small venue.

Styx's album Cornerstone remains one of my favorite rock albums ever. Mr. Roboto, however, is off their album Kilroy Was Here. Somewhat like the Who's Tommy, Kilroy is something of a rock opera set in a dystopian future in which rock music is against the law in a facsist state governed by "MMM (i.e., "the Majority for Musical Morality- can anyone say [as Allan Bloom did], Plato's republic?). Kilroy, the main character, was formerly a rock star, but is now imprisoned by MMM leader Dr. Righteous. Mr. Roboto is the part of the story where Kilroy escapes, disguised as Mr. Roboto, after finding out that another musician, Jonathan Chance, is making efforts to restore rock music.

Or, as Geddy Lee sang: "All this machinery making modern music/Can still be open hearted."

"The problem's plain to see/Too much technology/Machines to save our lives/Machines de-humanize...Now everyone can see (Secret secret, I've got a secret)/My true identity.../I'm Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy! Kilroy..."

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I have always loved this song! It seems utterly fitting to listen to while sitting in a plane, typing on my laptop, and reading my ebook! I had forgotten the songs dystopic origins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Styx. Hey, have a great trip. We go to lunch sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be back in a week. We definately need to plan a lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...