Friday, December 31, 2010

"Alrightokuhhuhamen- As it was in the beginning..."


I get by with a little help from my friends. Today I get by with the help of a friend who went home to be with the Lord more years ago than I care to remember. So, for the final Καθολικός διάκονος traditio to end the first decade of the new millennium I look to Rich Mullins' Alrightokuhhuhamen. My oldest son was in a traffic accident Sunday evening driving home from the Cathedral after attending the final Mass at which I was preaching. He's okay, but our van was totalled in the five car pile-up, for which he was not responsible and blessed to be uninjured. I am going to be a Dad again to a little boy who, judging from yesterday's ultra-sound, is developing just fine. I learned late last week that my Dad has cancer, a tumor that has metastasized, thus spreading the cancer to his bones and that he has a compression fracture in his back. Frankly, I don't whether to cry for sadness or joy.

"Well the Lord said let man choose and man did
Well, there's been sorrow and trouble in the world ever since
But there's hope for us still in the Word God says
If we just be smart enough to just say yes
Smart enough to say yes to Him and say Alrightokuhhuhamen"


Or in some of the most wise words ever spoken: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD" (Job 1:12). One more time- Alrightokuhhuhamen!

I am struck by these words of Eugene Peterson, someone who has influenced my spiritual development as much as any one: "When nothing we can do makes any difference and we are left standing around empty-handed and clueless, we are ready for God to create. When the conditions in which we live seem totally alien to life and salvation, we are reduced to waiting for God to do what only God can do, create." Jesus, I trust in You now more than ever and, while I am beggar, a bum and, like Rich, a raggamuffin, I am not like Beckett's tramps, who wait in vain.

So, I'll catch you on the other side of midnight. Enjoy New Year's Eve.

Veni adoramus

4 comments:

  1. Dear Scott,
    There is more than enough here for anyone to cope with. I am so glad that your eldest son is Ok and it is wonderful to hear you are going to be a Dad all over again. The news about your own father is heart rending and I know words are useless. But please know you are in my prayers. the Peterson quote says it all - you will be strong and be cared for I know.
    All Blessings to you and yours for now and into the New year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Philomena. I spoke with my Dad last night, no good news, but he is doing as well as can be expected. His last words to me at end of our conversation were that he was looking forward to seeing the new baby in May.

    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless you Deacon Scott!

    Be assured of my prayers for you and your family. I pray that we all will have a blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is a lot. Good to hear two sons are doing alright, but sorry to hear about your dad. You and yours are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...