Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Deacon's Prayer

Dear Lord, be with me now as I assist the priest in the Holy Eucharist. Let my mind and heart be focused upon the mystery of your Presence, the mystery of Your incredible self-gift. You want to share your body and blood with us all. Help me to know your personal love for me as I proclaim your word, intercede for the needs of your church, and distribute the precious blood which is life for us all. In my small tasks at your holy altar draw me closer to your through simplicity. Especially teach me, Lord, that you have called me to this altar so that I might be graced to share in your own eager availability and so serve the spiritual and corporal needs of your church. Amen.

-- from A Deacon's Retreat by Deacon James Keating

A deep diaconal bow to my dear friend, brother, enabler, and internet co-conspirator Deacon Greg Kandra, from whose blog The Deacon's Bench on Beliefnet, a daily must read, I gently lifted this lovely prayer composed by a fellow deacon.

Meum cum sim pulvis et cinis

3 comments:

  1. Dear Deacon Scott -

    Thank you for this beautiful prayer. I will forward this to my classmates. My class (Archdiocese of Newark NJ) will be installed as "Acolytes" on Monday March 1st.
    Please keep us in your prayers.

    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brian:

    Be assured of my prayers for you and your classmates. These will take the form of Memorares to Our Lady. Bishop Wester just ordained 21 new deacons for our diocese, we are still basking in the glow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the bow, and the props!

    "A Deacon's Retreat" is a terrific little resource. Perfect for reading and re-reading during this season.

    Blessings, brother...
    Dcn. G.
    p.s. Congrats, Brian! You are in many prayers -- including my own!

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...