Monday, February 8, 2010

The solemn observance of Super Bowl Sunday

Yesterday, which marked Super Bowl Sunday on the liturgical calendar, was also Meatfare Sunday. For Orthodox and many Eastern Catholics, Meatfare Sunday is the day following which no meat is eaten until Easter. Next Sunday is Cheesefare Sunday, which marks the end of eating dairy just prior to the beginning of the Great Lent, which commences Wednesday, 17 February. In this way we ease into Lenten observance. I am grateful I was able to enjoy the nice spread laid out for the Super Bowl.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention how moved I was by shots of our service men and women from an aircraft carrier and Afghanistan during the singing of America the Beautiful and our national anthem. I thought about how unifying this must be for them serving us so far from home. It made me give thanks for their service on our behalf to the people of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I loved the Super Bowl yesterday. Two great teams in a very close game most of the way. Given that my Raiders weren't involved and likely won't be for the foreseeable future, it was tough to root against either team, both led by quarterbacks who are great football players and great role models. Like most of the country, I was rooting for the Saints, but I was kind of heartbroken when Peyton Manning threw the pick-six. I want to point out that quite a few professional sports franchises call themselves the fill-in-the-blank Nation, this all began with the Raider's Nation, of which I am a charter member. Deacon Greg has an interesting piece over on The Deacon's Bench about Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees, who is a grounded, that is, grateful guy, despite the sometimes over-the-top antics of Saints fans, which is understandable in light of yesterday's victory. Let's not forget that fan is short for fanatic.

I liked The Who's half-time show. It is such a limited format, but they did well. It was workman-like, but all about the music- I feel a traditio brewing!

I didn't write anything in the lead up to the game about the controversy surrounding Pam and Tim Tebow's pro-life Super Bowl ad for Focus on the Family. Now that it has aired I will simply say, God bless Pam and Tim. I loved their Super Bowl ad for life! I thank them for their witness, which was fortified by their refusal to defend themselves in the face of a lot of really nasty criticism. Tim's story, which is really his mother's courageous story, is compelling and rooted in experience, not ideology. Ideology is the the source from which the criticisms of their detractors sprang. Visit the Focus on the Family website to learn the story behind their inspiring ad. I thought that those of feminist bent would have something to say about Danica Patrick's Go Daddy ads instead of getting all bent out of shape about Pam Tebow's decision to give birth against the advice of her doctors. St. Gianna Molla, pray for us:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...