Sunday, February 25, 2007

The fundamental option freely chosen- the freedom of God revealed in Christ

A prayer composed by Charles de Foucauld

"My Father,
I abandon myself to you.
Do with me what you please.
Whatever you do with me, I thank you.
I am ready for everything,
So that your will may be done in me
And in all your creatures:
I desire nothing else, my God.
I entrust my soul to your hands,
I give it to you, my God,
With all my heart,
Because I love you
And because this love makes me want
To give myself to you
And to place myseslf in your hands
Without condition,
With limitless confidence,
Because you are my Father. Amen."


Such is true freedom. As Archbishop Bruno Forte writes: "As disciples of the One who is truly free, Christians will exert every effort to nourish the experience of freedom within themselves and in the world in which they live, by their prayer and their whole lives, without expecting immediate results or the approval of others. Those who are truly free for the Father know how to take account of the unknown; that is, they believe beyond every possibility in the impossible possibility, which the freedom of God, revealed in Christ Jesus, has promised to history. Those who are truly free testify that this freedom, even when it appears to have been defeated, is worth living for and is contagious and liberating, because, like the freedom of Jesus, it is the revelation and gift of a greater mystery."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...