Thursday, February 15, 2007

Come on home!

I received this e-mail a few weeks ago from one of our RCIA Candidates, who grew up Lutheran and is in the process of being fully initiated into the Catholic Church. The response is from the secretary of the Lutheran Church at which he was baptized and, as you will see, confirmed. I have edited it a bit, as I don't want it to be an embarassment to anybody. I use it, of course, with the permission of the man who sent it.

"Hello, and Welcome Home (I'm Catholic) - we're delighted to receive you. I did find the record of your Confirmation, Oct. 4, 1970, but all we have is a page in the record book, nothing fancy. I'll send it to you, but are you aware that the Lutheran Church does not regard Confirmation as a sacrament, but more as a move to adulthood? They might want you to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (it's not hard!) when you officially join.

"Have you ever watched EWTN - 'The Journey Home'? It presents the faith journey of people who have come home to the Catholic Church, whether through conversion or 'reversion'. I've been Catholic all my life, but I find it very helpful in my own life.

"I'll get the record sheet into the mail on Monday - I'm off tomorrow. I wish you all the best."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...