Friday, July 2, 2010

"Detached and subdivided in the mass production zone..."

Since watching the new Rush documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage last Saturday night, I have been on a big Rush kick. This is nothing new because I have loved Rush since I was about 15 when a close friend of mine introduced me their music. The first album I was really into was Permanent Waves, which remains very relevant for me. It's funny what I can write about with ease and what I cannot. It is difficult to write about the people and things that mean a lot to me, that played a big role in shaping me, like Camus, Orwell, Von Balthasar, Dickens, Dostoevsky, Kundera, etc. Rush certainly falls into this pattern.

The very first live concert I ever attended was Rush on their Signals tour and the second was Rush Grace Under Pressure. Both of these remain very memorable. Rush released seven albums in 1980s, beginning with 1980's Permanent Waves and culminating with 1989's Presto. Anyway, this Friday's traditio, in keeping with our '80s summer, is Subdivisions off their Signals album.


"Some will sell their dreams for small desires,
or lose the race to rats,
get caught in ticking traps,
and start to dream of somewhere
to relax their restless flight."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...