Monday, May 31, 2010

Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin


"In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah, and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, and she exclaimed with a loud cry, 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord'" (Luke 1:39-45 ESV).

Of course, the Blessed Mother's visit to Elizabeth is the second of the Joyful Mysteries of her Most Holy Rosary, the fruit of which is love of neighbor.

This reading and this feast also show us how precious life is, which should make us all the more grateful for those who laid their lives down in service to our country, often standing up against evil and tyranny in the service of the common good of humanity.

3 comments:

  1. I love this feast.

    When I was in Israel the first time, I had a most remarkable trip to Ein Kerem, believed to be Elizabeth's village. Having been in Nazareth a few days earlier, I was struck by what that journey meant in practical terms at that time.

    And how I love the Magnificat. Words with such power that they were outlawed during the military dictatorship years in Guatemala, as I understand it. No one could proclaim the Magnificat aloud... That is the glory of God through Mary's voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is difficult to exaggerate how much true insight one gains by visiting the Holy Land.

    I admire those who engage in non-violence when warranted, which is not pacifism. To remain passive in the face of evil is wholly unacceptable. Come to think of it, to remain passive in the face of anything is unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How well put! Passivity is often confused with non-violence, peace.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...