Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haitian earthquake relief

"1117 Troy Livesay tweets:'Church groups are singing throughout the city all through the night in prayer. It is a beautiful sound in the middle of a horrible tragedy'" BBC News.

Photo BBC News


Today we need to pray for the people of Haiti and look for other ways to help them. So, please consider making a donation to the Red Cross, UNICEF, Catholic Relief Services, or any other reputable aid organization that is helping with search and recovery operations as well as feeding and sheltering the displaced. Estimates indicate that thousands are dead. Times like this call forth solidarity.

4 comments:

  1. I just read one blog post by an atheist who snarkily remarked that the people of Haiti did not need any good thoughts or prayers, but that they needed help.

    Then I saw video of Pat Robertson and heard audio of Rush Limbaugh - both very negative.

    Thank God I came here- refuge.

    My prayers and more are going to Haiti. God help those in the grip of death and devastaion and let us find ways to unite to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the wonderful things about being Catholic is being both/and as opposed to either/or.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Deacon Scott. I pray for all the good people of Haiti. I pray for my dear friends, the Missionaries of Charity - who have homes in Haiti, for the sick, suffering, the poorest of the poor. God be with them. I must say I am in deep distress - I have friends who are from Haiti, who have family in Haiti - and I feel useless. I pray to our Blessed Mother, please ask your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, please help these suffering people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are only useless to them if you are not praying!

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...