Saturday, January 2, 2010

A few things on the eve of ἐπιφάνεια

I am happy to join the distinguished group of regular contributors to Il Sussidiario, to lend whatever expertise and insight I might contribute for the greater good. I am very grateful to Dario Chiesa and Sharon Mollerus for involving me in this wonderful enterprise. I hope to continue to bring some light to bear on the complex issues facing our world, as well as something of my own necessarily limited experience of how it is possible to live this way.



We're busily preparing for our annual Epiphany party this evening. Our party will be a bit smaller this year, which is just fine. I love this beautiful feast that always puts me in mind of the Christmas song Little Drummer Boy, a song that reminds us that Jesus Christ, born as a baby for our sake, is the first and best gift of all and that what He wants from us, or, in the words of Don Giussani, begs us for, is our hearts. What makes a striking appearance, or manifestation, is a who... with a deep diaconal bow to my dear friend Sharon, who brings this insight from dear Don Giussani to mind at the beginning of this new year, which makes us all highly conscious of the passing of time: "What possesses our time died for us, presents itself to our eyes and to our heart as the place where our destiny is loved, where our happiness is loved, so much that He who possesses time dies for our time." God "saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel..." (2 Tim. 1:9-10- reading from Evening Prayer I for Epiphany).

Wise women and men still seek him, the Pearl of Great of Price. Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar- pray for us.

2 comments:

  1. Hi...i just saw this...might you send me the article?


    I also recommend an article in Communio, Summer 2003, by Jean-Pierre Batut, entitled “Does the Father Suffer?” ... If you'd like, you can e-mail your address and I will be happy to mail you a copy of the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean-Pierre Batut's article "Does the Father Suffer" is available for download from the Communio website click here.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...