Friday, January 22, 2010

"You can feel the punishment but you can't commit the sin"



Howard Jones' classic No One Is to Blame is this Friday's traditio. It certainly does not hurt that this version was recorded as part of the tremendously funny Kenny Everett show.

"You can see the summit but you can't reach it/Its the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit/Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain/ Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain."

What is hope and, assuming it is not an illusion that leads to being delusional, can I have it? I'm not trying to be cute. I have hope, which is revealed and reiterated to me whenever I have the kinds of experiences Howard sings about in this song. I mean, if your aspirations are in the clouds but your hopes are down the drain, chances are that even if your hopes, such as they are, were realized your aspirations would be greater still; you will still wind up dissatisfied because your desire, what you want, is bigger than the world! You're human and that's how we roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...