Saturday, October 3, 2009

Saints and angels sing

I don't know why, but I deeply feel the need to invoke my friends, the saints who accompany me along my way this morning, my own personal litany:

Holy Mary, Mother of God- pray for us
St. Joseph- pray for us
St. Mary Magdalene- pray for us
St. Stephen- pray for us
St. Martin of Tours- pray for us
St. Benedict- pray for us
St. Bruno- pray for us
Sts. Francis & Clare- pray for us
Sts. Dominic & Catherine of Siena- pray for us
Sts. Perpetua & Felicity- pray for us
St. Thérèse, Little Flower- pray for us
St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross- pray for us
St. Gianna Molla- pray for us
All holy men and women- pray for us

Fr. Tonino Lasconi, a parish priest and author of many catechetical works in Italy, made a very important observation a few years ago: "We don’t talk to children anymore about their Guardian Angel, or their patron saint." He continues, "We can’t think that Mass and conventions are enough." His conclusion is all too true: "Without the saints, the faith vanishes." The good news is that these lovely people intercede for us whether we ask them to or not. Nonetheless, they long to be our friends. Yesterday, was the Feast of the Guardian Angels. No less a figure than St. Basil the Great taught that "each and every member of the faithful has a Guardian Angel to protect, guard, guide them through life." This teaching was echoed by St. Bernard of Clairvaux.

I remember of moving passage from Pope John Paul II's book, Rise, Let Us Be on Our Way, about how he powerfully felt the presence of his Guardian Angel the day he was ordained a bishop.

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here, ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide.

Veni Sancti Spiritus, veni per Mariam.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly you're right, we don't talk to children (or grown-ups) about our Guardian Angels or Patron Saints.

    Can't remember when is the last time either were mentioned in a sermon on Sunday.

    It's a pity because if grown-ups aren't taught or reminded what chance have the youngsters got to learn about Catholicism as it was taught?

    My Guardian Angel is always working overtime looking after me. Thank God.

    As for my Patron Saint? I expect he's busy too.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...