Friday, October 30, 2009

"They've got a name for the winners in the world and I want a name when I lose"



Steely Dan's Deacon Blues is our Friday traditio. I also have a fondness for Donald Fagen's solo album Nightfly and I care for Fruit Loops a great deal.

On Fridays, I begin my day with the plea of the psalmist from Psalm 51- "Have mercy on me God, in your kindness. In your compassion blot out my offense."

As we come to the end of the month dedicated to the rosary, let's not abandon praying it daily. My dear friend Sharon, from whose blog of sorts, Quaerere Deum, I get a daily dose of beauty via many lovely photographs, also publishes insights once in awhile. The other day she put up this statement by Fr. Aldo Trento: "I cannot start the day without that Gospel of the poor that is the rosary". Let's not read these words sentimentally, thinking,, "Ah, what a holy little priest clicking his beads," while making some pseudo-pious request, like "Pray for me!" You know what I'm writing about. Instead, take it as a challenge to experience what Fr. Aldo experiences through the unfailing intercession of Our Lady, who gives him a heart for the poor he serves daily in Asunción, Paraguay.

Today we meditate on the Sorrowful mysteries.

Veni Sancti Spiritus, veni per Mariam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...