Friday, October 12, 2007

I edged my way to Friday



In a week in which I heard from Alice Armendariz (a.k.a. Alice Bag) and during which I wrote about both genocide and San Francisco, today's Καθολικός διάκονος lectio is Serj Tankian (who is Armenian), backed by the Foo Fighters, whose recently released album, Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace, I eagerly look forward to listening to very soon, singing a song by San Francisco's own Dead Kennedy's. Holiday in Cambodia, a most visceral song, was released in 1980. This performance took place at an MTV party in Las Vegas of all venues! It is a bit fun, not to mention a bit uncharitable, to watch the uncomprehending audience. All-in-all a good cover of the song, despite the fact that they changed a word to make it more politically correct. Besides, it is impossible to do the whole Jello Biafra act anyway. I don't think that even Jello can do it anymore.

Oh, by the way, Turkey recalled its ambassador to the U.S. today in protest and denial of the Armenian genocide and continues to threaten and conduct cross-border attacks into northern Iraq. The BBC News's Have Your Say feature on this issue is quite interesting, as you have people from both Turkey and Armenia discussing the current state-of-affairs.

With that, I probably won't post again until Monday. Life beckons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...