Wednesday, September 12, 2007

God's best gift

Life, which is constituted by the time between our birth and our death, is God's most precious gift to us. Let us give Him thanks, even on our most difficult days. Job is rightly revered for his patience, but the Book of Job is considered to be one of the Wisdom books of holy writ. So, Job should also be revered for his wisdom: "Naked I came forth from my mother's womb, and naked shall I go back again. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD!" (Job 1,21).

He asks his wife, who is telling him to curse God for tragedy that has befallen him, "We accept good things from God; and should we not accept evil?" (Job 2,10b).

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why it is so hard for us to love and thank God always-- not just when things are going well or what we think is good, perhaps it is human nature. Jesus said it would not be easy for those who seek the Kingdom of God. I think that the sactrifice He made for us has made it a lot easier. I agree with Job's responce to his wife's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you wrote: "I think that the sacrifice He made for us has made it a lot easier." Indeed it has. Jesus Christ crucified is the answer to the problem of evil and suffering.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...