Friday, September 13, 2013

I "pour contempt on all my pride"

In honor of tomorrow's ancient and venerable Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross it strikes me that a great Friday tradition is the Choir of King's College, Cambridge singing "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross."




See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.




As St. Paul wrote to the Church at Corinth: "The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Cor 1:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...