Friday, November 9, 2012

"Tune my heart to sing Thy grace"

So, my dear sisters and brothers, it is Friday yet again. As I do from time-to-time, I want to remind everyone that traditionally Christians have observed Fridays as days of penance. We don't do penance to make ourselves more pleasing to God, or remind ourselves how "bad" we've been, but out of gratitude for what God has done for us in and through His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Of course, we recognize those times when we have refused to love God, or to love our neighbor and implore God to change our hearts.



Unlike a growing number of Catholics, I love hymns and congregational singing. While I can't presume to speak for God in this regard, I can only surmise that a congregation singing a hymn is most pleasing to our loving Father. As St. Augustine wrote, the person who sings prays twice. From my own experience, some of the most powerful experiences of the Holy Spirit I have had occurred while singing hymns in the assembly of the faithful.

So, our Friday traditio is Jars of Clay singing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing":



Teach me some melodious sonnet, Sung by flaming tongues above. Praise His name I’m fixed upon it, Mount of Thy redeeming love.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott: Have you heard of Sacred Harp singing? Here is a link to a group singing 'Wayfaring Stranger.' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8cGHlJzqE&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, but I will check it out. Thanks Kim!

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...