Friday, January 7, 2011

"What's your price for flight?"


Members of Night Ranger, in a VH-1 Behind the Music episode in which they were featured, said that the term "Motoring" used in the song's lyrics- "You're motoring. What's your price for flight? In finding Mr. Right?"- refers both to driving around in a car (as in "Cruising the 'vard" where I come from) and to picking someone up for casual sex. The song was written by the band's drummer, Kelly Keagy, who had heard that his younger sister had done the latter. Indeed, what's the price for flight? I think Sister Christian is the perfect traditio given the subject of my posting this week and looking forward to one I have on tap for the beginning of next week.

Indeed, "There's so much in life Don't you give it up
Before your time is due."


Veni adoramus

7 comments:

  1. I saw Night Ranger in concert last year with Journey...they were wonderful! Obviously having fun, glad to be there. Anyway I remember cruisin' the vard...when I was 15, riding around with Linnie and Crystal. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the days when Max and I would drive up and down. What were we looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an awesome brother! I hope Sister Christian realized the love behind the song, when she would have needed it most. Perhaps he saved her some heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know whether Christy, Keagy's sister, heeded her older brother. It may sound corny, but I think for guys (as one who has two younger sisters myself) it is important to remember that young woman you are are leering at is, if not someone's sister, is someone's daughter, granddaughter, niece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was she looking for, really? Casual sex, really? For women it is about so much more. At least I think so. I don't know, I guess some women "leer" too, simply for leering sake and are into casual, or at least have convinced themselves so. That's just never been my thing, my experience, at all.

    Your thought is not corny and one that I think should be spread around a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently, yes that is what she was looking for. Believe or not, whether we know it or not, men are looking for more, too. As Chesterton once observed: "Every man who knocks on the door of a brothel is looking for God."

    Sexual desire is not only a part of human life, but a good part. It is a sign, that is, an indication of the completion we all long for, but like everything in mortality, being a sign, it is not an end-in-itself. When we try to make it that, or when we try to find our completion in another human being other than Christ, whether you are a woman or a man, you begin walking the wrong path.

    What is difficult to articulate, especially to young people, is that chastity is a positive virtue, not merely a list of prohibitions, or an exercise in "How far is too far."

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have me thinking, as usual, Scott! I love the Chesterton quote. Yes, I see the truth in that. Why do we hurt ourselves and others...seeking..

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...