Friday, January 21, 2011

"Just a little deuce coupe with a flat head mill"


On Monday, after learning of my Dad's death, I was driving North on I-15 to my parents' house. It was a cold, gray day. As I neared the exit near their house, the sun suddenly came out and the Beach Boys' song Good Vibrations came on. It was unusual, though not unheard of, for the station I was listening to- 103.5 The Arrow- to play the Beach Boys. My Dad loved their music, but Good Vibrations was far from his favorite song, but as The Stones observed- "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find you get what you need. Needless to say, it was very much a sign for me.

Today is my Dad's funeral. So, his favorite Beach Boys song, Little Deuce Coup, is our Friday traditio. I am very appreciative of all the thoughts, prayers and expressed condolences throughout these difficult days.

Under normal circumstances I would have posted something on the passing of Sargent Shriver, but I'll turn this one over to Bono, who writes about Shriver in the New York Times. Given the theme of Monday's post, here's the bit from Bono I'll leave as a take away: "He and his beautiful bride, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, would go to Mass every day — as much an act of rebellion against brutal modernity as it was an act of worship. Love, yes, but love as a brave act, a bold act, requiring toughness and sacrifice." Amen brother Hewson!

A deep diaconal bow to Webster Bull for bringing Bono's piece and the relevant quote from it to my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...