Friday, January 14, 2011

"Singing a song, In search of Eldorado"

My Grandma Dodge lived for poetry, not because she was an educated woman (she never graduated high school and worked as hospital cleaning woman), but because it spoke to her heart and helped her see the beauty of the world and of each person. She never travelled anywhere, but stayed in Ogden pretty much her whole life. She never even had a driver's license. She imparted this love to her children, stepchildren and to her many grandchildren. I was fortunate to spend a lot of time with her, especially when I was very young. She's been gone for a long time now.

Last night, lying in his hospital bed, as I was leaving, my Dad took my hand and recited this poem to me, which is why this Friday's traditio is Eldorado, by Edgar Allan Poe:

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old-
This knight so bold-
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow-
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be-
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied-
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allan Poe

1 comment:

  1. I have been negligent in reading your blog as often as I'd like. In fact, it has been several weeks since I've had the enjoyment.

    First, my deepest and most sincere sympathies on your father's illness. I truly wish there was something I could do and should you or your family need anything am here to serve. Know that you and your family are very much in my thoughts and my prayers!

    Second, thank you for the words of Poe! I have always been touched by that poem though I haven't read it in years.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...