Sunday, March 9, 2008

Larry Norman: Gone home

I have a confession to make. I let the death of Larry Norman, who passed into eternity back on 24 February, pass without a word. I can't claim ignorance. I knew he had passed. Anyway, Larry Norman pretty much invented the genre of Christian rock. Unlike the industry it eventually spawned, Larry never, ever lost his integrity, which meant that he never got rich, something for which he is now probably quite grateful. I was introduced to his music by a guitar playing Christian brother, who would regale me, like a child, over and again with the song The Outlaw, which remains one of my favorite songs about our Lord. So, if you want to hear some of Larry Norman's cuts, like the classic Why Should the Devil have all the good music" visit his website. If you like what you hear, order a cd right off the site. Also, it would be worth your while to read Larry's last message, it is beautiful. The video is not the greatest, with him doing an unplugged version of Sweet, Sweet Song of Salvation, but it'll do as a tribute, especially given that he is now singing that sweet, sweet song of the redeemed.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. "Why Should the Devil" used to be one of my favorite songs, but I'd lost touch with Larry's music decades ago.

    May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I felt compelled to post something after Michael Spencer had a lot of good things to write and say about Larry. While I differed a lot with him about theology, his genuine, infectious love of Jesus, which translated into a love of people, and into some great songs was beyond dispute. He certainly endured his share of trials and ran the good race by the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...