Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Resistance is futile

As much I have tried to suppress commenting on The Sopranos' final episode, I can resist no longer. Well, actually I can resist, but I have to admit that I anticipated Cathleen Kaveny's response to the final episode of this phenomenal show almost as much as the final episode itself. So, I will let her insightful post Made in America, over on dotCommonweal do the duty, thus allowing me to continue my resistance. She has written in a consistently insightful manner about The Sopranos, most notably, as previously pointed out, in a Commonweal article entitled Salvation & 'The Sopranos': Redemption in New Jersey.

I waited until today to even venture over to dotCommonweal to read her response while I processed . . .

"So," writes Kaveny "'the movie never ends. It goes on and on and on and on.' Don't forget that first half of Season Six began with this the first episode of the last half of Season Six was entitled 'Sopranos Home Movies.' And the first episode of the first half of Season Six was based on William S. Burroughs's 'Seven Souls', which is about 'the film of your life.'"

As Professor Kaveny notes in a follow-up post, never underestimate the "wonder of the power ballad".

1 comment:

  1. I never got into the Sopranos, but I thought this review was interesting: http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/

    ReplyDelete

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...