Thursday, December 14, 2006

High School Reunion


Today I had the privilege of reuniting with a teacher, a mentor, and someone who, even when I was a teenager, was a good friend: Representative Rob Bishop of the U.S. House of Representatives for Utah's First Congressional District. The picture is of the Ben Lomond High School Debate Team in 1984. I am bottom row left sitting next to my best friend, who I have known since we were 10 years-old. The tall, skinny fellow kneeling in the middle in glasses and circa 1980s knit blue tie, is my other best friend, Timothy. Tim died in 1987, less than three years after graduation. He and I had planned to move to Salt Lake and attend the U together. It is for him that my oldest son is named.

I participated in debate primarily as an extemporaneous speaker, but also as Lincoln-Douglas debater as well as in my favorite event, Legislative Forum. I was a State Finalist and a Region champion. I obtained a National Forensics League Double-Ruby award over my three years of high school. Rather than being immodest, like all accomplishments, my achievements are due in no small part to teaching and mentoring. Those skills I acquired all those years ago are what have led me to a career and ministry that both inlcude a good deal of writing and speaking clearly, logically, and, hopefully, interestingly.

We met today when Rep. Bishop, R-Utah, was on an official visit to my organization today. It is always nice to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...