Friday, October 15, 2021

Life's "inevitable harshness"- a lesson

This past Wednesday, I tested positive for COVID-19. This is my second bout with COVID. I also contracted it in March 2020, at the onset of the global pandemic. In the interim, I was fully vaccinated in January 2021. I have tried to be mindful of adhering to recommended guidelines, including masking, social distancing, etc. I believe I began to experience very minor symptoms the Thursday before my positive test. Other than losing my sense of taste (to some extent) and smell, which was my tip-off that I might have COVID, I experienced no symptoms.



My family, all of whom but our 10-year-old are fully vaccinated, and who had COVID in March 2020, just completed their quarantine. Since I had been out-of-town, rather than coming home, I stayed away until the end of their isolation period. But now, I am isolating. I would be lying, either by omission or commission, either to admit to insist to contrary that I am not deeply discouraged by this. I have been in touch with the health officials in my county. I am to isolate until a week from Sunday. I am participating in my state's test and trace. I have notified the few people, including my Mom, with whom I've been in close contact.

The take-away at this point is that trying to do the right thing doesn't guarantee success. This realization is a bummer. As I mentioned last weekend, one of the books I am currently reading is the late Father Charles Cummings, OSCO's book Monastic Practices. In his chapter on "Self-Discipline," which I read yesterday, he wrote: "The first form of monastic self-discipline is cheerfully and generously to accept the inevitable harshness of life and to endure difficulties that come our way in the course of each day..."

I would be hardpressed to think of anything that could speak more where I am at right now than this. If you can spare a prayer for me, I'd certainly appreciate it.

In other bad news, Paddy Moloney, founder of the extraordinary Irish band The Chieftans died this week. Our traditio today is The Chieftans, led by Paddy, singing "Here's A Health to the Company."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of Holy Week

Readings: Isaiah 42:1-7; Psalm 27:1-3.13-14; John 12:1-11 Being nine months to the day before Christmas, normally today we would mark the...