Friday, January 3, 2020

Time runs like a river

The liturgical memorial of the Most Holy Name of Jesus marks the first Friday of this New Year. Today's memorial was preceded yesterday by the Feast of Saints Basil and Gregory of Nazianzus, two of the three great Cappadocian Fathers. Christmas is a rich season in terms of the liturgical year. Today is the first penitential day of 2020.

It's strange to think that as of 1 January 2020 I have been alive in 7 decades (1960s, 1970s, 1980s. 1990s, 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s). I know, I know some people insist that decades run from 1-(1)0, like 2021-2030, but I think most of us are comfortable reckoning a decades from 0-9, as in 2020-2029. I know I am repetitive in this regard, but dear Lord does time fly! It seems to pick up speed the older I get. I also know this phenomenon is not unique to me.



Nonetheless, I paddle my canoe on the rapids of time's river. What I like about time markers is that they come whether I am ready or not. I take solace in the fact that every day, at least in a sense, is New Year's day. For example, in one year (366 days in this instance, due to this year being a Leap Year), it will be 3 January 2021. This is liberating thought, especially for those of us who make New Year's resolutions or set new goals.

Apparently, because I am a cleric, I am not supposed to share any of my emotional struggles. In the minds of such people I guess I am supposed to be a doctrinal automaton of some sort. Truth be told, apart from blogging once in awhile in general terms about how depression sometimes afflicts me, I don't write much about my interior struggles. I only write in general terms about depression because I know it helps other people who struggle as well. In terms of everything I post here on Καθολικός διάκονος, at the start of this New Year, I refer all readers to my "Integrity Notes" page. This has been on my blog for many years. In short, virtually everything about which I write here falls under the caveat "In my opinion..." Agree, disagree, don't give a tinker's dam as you please.

I any case, I would be remiss not to post a traditio for this first Friday of the New Year. Given the issue that prompts certain negative reactions, our traditio is Dido with a very lovely acoustic cover of Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy." It's a story that's sadly been repeated many, many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Triduum- Holy Thursday

Christ Washing the Disciples' Feet , by Jacopo Tintoretto (1519-1594) “Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me.” ( ...