Friday, January 24, 2020

Marking time, observing an anniversary

The penultimate Friday of January is upon us! Sorry, like juxtapose, I can't pass up the opportunity to use "penultimate." Today is not just any Friday. In addition to being a month down the road from Christmas Day and the Memorial of that great Doctor of the Church Saint Francis de Sales, 24 January 2020 marks the sixteenth anniversary of my ordination to the diaconate.



There were 24 of us who were ordained deacons by then-Bishop George Niederauer in the Cathedral of the Madeleine on that January day back in 2004. One of our number was ordained for the diocese of Knoxville- he was just in Utah for a few years. Seven of my classmates have since died. Another 7, all men now over 70, have retired from active ministry, thus leaving 9 of us who are still carrying the torch. I find these numbers rather sobering, not in an alarming way but simply as a reminder of something I comment on often in my Friday commentary: tempus fugit.

Nonetheless, it is a tremendous privilege to be called to serve the People of God. I count my call to the diaconate and my participation in the sacrament of holy orders as one of the greatest blessings in my life. I am just bold enough to ask that Christ grant me many more years in his service. As a great and mentor and teacher, who is a brilliant theologian and brother deacon, once said to me: "You're not worthy. Get over it!"

I am going with Sister Cristina Scuccia, everyone's favorite Ursuline sister, for today's traditio. Specifically, her inspiring rendition of "Blessed Be Your Name" performed at World Youth Day in 2016.

1 comment:

  1. Was the mentor who said “get over it” Owen? He said that to me a few times.

    ReplyDelete

Triduum- Good Friday

The Crucifixion , by Giotto (b. 1267 or 1277 - d. 1337 CE). Part of a cycle of frescoes showing the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Chris...