Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pope Francis one year on

One year ago today we witnessed this exciting scene:



Happy anniversary Holy Father! We love you. We pray for you. Ad multos annos!

Like everyone else in the Catholic trapeziodalsphere, I wrote a good deal about all of this last March. But one piece I wrote, which didn't garner a lot of attention, stands out in my mind, especially given how the first year of Pope Francis' pontificate has unfolded:

Papa Francesco calls on the Church to emerge

2 comments:

  1. Scott,

    I reread your post from last year and must say I admire your eloquence. Thank you for your words!

    Yes, the world so desperately wants and needs to understand the intersection, indeed the interlay, between evangelization and liberation. Because Papa Bergoglio gives witness to this so clearly in his life and his words, he has captured the world's attention.

    Certainly, Pope Francis is both a challenge and a support for all of us deacons who try as best we can to evangelize the peripheries by both our words and the manner in which we try to live our lives in simplicity and holiness.

    Keep me and the deacons of the diocese of Sioux City in your prayers next weekend as I lead them in a retreat. I will be preaching on evangelization.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bob:

    Be assured of my prayers for you as you prepare to lead the retreat and my prayers next weekend. Really and truly. May God's grace, by the power of the Holy Spirit, flow in abundance on all of you and, then, through you into the lives of those we are called to serve, especially those on the periphery.

    Sincerely,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete