Saturday, November 16, 2013

It's the end of the world as we know it, how do you feel?

Well not quite yet and we don't know when. Our first reading:
Lo, the day is coming, blazing like an oven, when all the proud and all evildoers will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire, leaving them neither root nor branch, says the LORD of hosts. But for you who fear my name, there will arise the sun of justice with its healing rays (Mal 3:19-20a)
From our Gospel for this Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time, close to the Solemnity of Christ the King, we contemplate the end of the world and Jesus Christ coming "again in glory to judge the living and dead," a core Christian belief. But in our Gospel reading for today, the Lord tells us, "See that you not be deceived, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and ‘The time has come.’ Do not follow them!" (Luke 21:8).



"Before all this happens, however, they will seize and persecute you, they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons, and they will have you led before kings and governors because of my name (Luke 21:12)...You will be hated by all because of my name, but not a hair on your head will be destroyed. By your perseverance you will secure your lives" (Luke 21:17-19).



"To offer me solutions is to offer me alternatives and I decline!"

I can't help but wonder how many homilies this Sunday will seek to divert attention from this mystery of faith, rather than help us enter more fully into it. My guess is, quite a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...