Friday, February 24, 2012

"What good am I - if I know and don't do"



Brother Jones' appeal to your conscience and mine is our traditio on this first Friday of Lent.

One book of Scripture we should all spend some time reading over Lent is the Letter of James. Here's one reason why: "Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his own face in the mirror. He sees himself. then goes off and promptly forgets what he looked like" (James 1:23-24).

As Golda Meir once said (I am sorry I don't know the context): "Don't be humble. You're not that great." Sounds like something my maternal grandmother would've said to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...