Friday, January 13, 2012

Jesus, be moved by my need

For our returning Catholics group we are just beginning to read through and discuss St. Mark's Gospel. This morning as I started my way though this Gospel, I was struck in just the kind of way lectio divinia is supposed to strike me. God gives us what we need if we but ask and then attend. After all, as Msgr. Giussani taught, education in freedom implies both an education in attention and an education in awareness.

In the first chapter of Mark, after being baptized by John in the Jordan, going into the desert, calling His first disciples, teaching in the synagogue, healing a man possessed by an unclean spirit after the unclean spirit recognized Him in the synaggogue, healing Simon Peter's mother-in-law, and "many who were sick with various diseases," plus casting "many demons," and preaching throughout Galilee, the Lord encountered a leper. Approaching Jesus, the leper pleading with Him said, "If you will, you can make me clean."



Here's what moved me: "Moved with pity," Jesus "stretched out his hand and touched him and said to him, 'I will; be clean.' And immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean"(Mark 1:40-42 ESV). My need is no less than that of the leper, perhaps even greater.

Lord, Jesus look on me with pity today, which is a day of penance, a day I recognize all that is unclean in me, especially in my heart, stretch out your hand, touch me, and make me clean so that I may see myself as You see me and so gaze on others the way You lovingly gaze on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...