Friday, September 9, 2011

"if you could return, don't let it burn, don't let it fade"



For some reason, as I was walking down the hall this morning thinking about what I might put up as our Friday traditio, one Cranberries' song after another started running through my head. When I found this live performance by Simon Le Bon, of Duran Duran, and Dolores O'Riordan singing the Cranberries' Linger, well, it became obvious.

O'Riordan has the most Celtic style of any popular contemporary singer. She is the only singer I am aware of whose Irish inflections carry over into her singing. Simplicity and passion.

Late summer/early fall always evokes a lot of nostalgia, which, as Milan Kundera noted, is "[t]he Greek word for 'return' is nostos. Algos means 'suffering'. So nostalgia is the suffering caused by and unappeased yearning to return."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Readings: Daniel 13:1-9.15-1719-30.33-62; Psalm 23:1-6; John 8:1-11 Whenever I hear Jesus’ encounter with the woman caught in adultery, m...